VPNs are a great way to protect your identity. Some services will block them (I'm looking at you Hulu) but it is still a good tool to have at your disposal. Some games and Torrent clients will have trouble staying connected without some simple tweaks like the following.
- Disable UPnP or NAT-PMP port forwarding.
- Disable uTP for peer communication.
- Enable PEX to find more peers.
- Disable Use DHT to find more peers.
- Disable Local Peer Discovery to find more peers.
If you are using an older version of the PIA client in Ubuntu, you may need to install the following...
- sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
You can also use it as a SOCKS5 Proxy with the following settings (torrent clients have this but web browsers don't like it)
- proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080
- User your username and password